In 2021, the Oregon Legislature passed a new gun bill over the objection of all Republicans and some Democrats. OGO strongly opposed the policy and worked tirelessly to defeat it.
SB 554 bans possession of guns in some public buildings by CHL holders and requires secure storage under certain conditions. It took effect on September 25, 2021.
Here is what you need to know:
Firearm Storage and Transfer
- “Control” means the firearm is close enough to prevent another person
from obtaining the firearm or the owner is in their own residence and
the residence is secure.
- When not under control of owner, possessor, or authorized person,
firearms must be secured with lock or in a locked container or gun
room. (Handgun cannot be left unattended in a vehicle and within view
of persons outside the vehicle.)
- Violation is Class C violation (if obtained by a minor, it’s a Class A
- If violation results in injury to person or property within two years, the
violation constitutes “per se negligence,” and presumption of
negligence cannot be overcome by showing the owner acted
- “Per se negligence” does not apply if firearm was obtained by person
unlawfully entering or remaining in a dwelling.
- Loss or theft must be reported within 72 hours. If there is no means of
reporting, it must be reported within 24 hours of means of reporting
- Minors must be supervised by owner or designee with consent of
minor’s parent or guardian except when hunting or target shooting
(does not apply if the minor is the owner of the firearm).
Regulation of Firearms in Public Buildings
- School boards (public K-12, colleges, universities) may adopt policies
banning CHL holders from possession of guns on school grounds.
- A clearly visible sign must be posted and the school district must
provide notice on its website.
- CHL holders cannot possess guns in the Oregon Capitol or Portland
International Airport (a person can still transport as checked baggage
in accordance with federal law).
- CHL holders will receive a Class A misdemeanor instead of a felony for
possessing guns in these prohibited places.
Concealed Handgun License Fees
- Increases fees from $50 for issuance and renewal of CHL to $100 for
issuance and $75 for renewal.